Endoscopy Circulating RN (FT 1st Shift) Surgery Center of Decatur Alabama - Surgery Center of Decatur Alabama
Responsible for the planning, executing, direction and evaluating direct and indirect nursing care given to the endoscopy patient. This nursing care ranges from pre procedure intervention to post procedure evaluation. It is practice designed to meet patient’s needs through the nursing process, ensuring continuity of care during the Endoscopy experience.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Experience Required:
• Education: Education: currently licensed to practice professional nursing in the state of Alabama and be familiar with the basic nursing performance standards as outlined in the Alabama Nurse Practice Act.
• Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
• Certified in BCLS, ACLS and Moderate Sedation.
• Knowledge of Patient’s rights.
• Knowledge of Facility and nursing policies and procedures, and the functions of other departments in the facility.
• Knowledge of varies procedures in the Endoscopy Lab, Colonoscopy, Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, Percutaneous Gastrostomy Tube Placements.
• Knowledge and experience in the pre procedure care of the Endoscopy patient.
• Knowledge of special equipment used in the Endoscopy Lab.
• Knowledge and training in Moderate Sedation and Monitored Anesthesia Care in the Endoscopy Lab and their effects on the Patient.
• Evidence of continuing education in the field of Endoscopy with yearly competency evaluations.
Key Responsibilities / Essential Functions
1. Supervises and directs patient care in an individual Endoscopy Room.
2. Ensures proper identification and procedure with each patient and compares with consent and pre admission testing orders. Explains procedure to patient and/or family members. In pre-op area assess patient’s physical needs, and alleviate patient anxiety, check chart for proper documentation.
3. Supervises other personnel in the room and directs and assists as necessary. Reports any unusual occurrences, documents appropriately in the patient record and completes Facility incident forms if indicated.
4. Performs all circulating duties with efficiency and speed. Performs scrub duties as necessary.
5. Checks to make sure that Endoscopy procedure room is set up for appropriate procedure and that everything needed is available and equipment is working properly
6. Maintain “TIME OUT” in Endoscopy Lab with Physician and staff.
7. Positions patient relevant to procedure being performed.
8. Connects patients to appropriate monitors for conscious sedation. Identifies and records patient’s response to medications when necessary. Ensures that all medications are administered and charted according to established policy.
9. Apply electrosurgical return electrodes according to the physician’s preference and policy and procedure. Assess patient skin prior to placing bovie pad and removing bovie pad.
10. Promptly reports and records and medication/or procedure errors. Maintains records of procedure and reports any unusual occurrences.
11. Accompanies patient to Pre-OP/PACU and reports to receiving nurse.
12. Ensures a clean and safe environment through continued alertness to safety, aseptic technique and traffic control in the Endoscopy Lab.
13. Maintains continuing education regarding the Endoscopy Lab and assist with orientation of new personnel. Adheres to use of PPI in the Endoscopy Lab.
14. Cares for specimens and cultures according to lab specifications. Goes over each lab specimen with the Endoscopy Scrub tech at the end of each procedure to assure specimens are there and labeled correctly.
15.Knowledgeable in cleaning and reprocessing of Endoscopy equipment
16. Responsible for checking supplies and replenishing as needed. Checks for expired dates on all supplies and drugs. Checks blue bell cart in each procedure room for emergency and reversal drugs.
17. Checks emergency airway supplies in each room including ambu-bag
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Day
Ref Code: Hill
For more information contact Human Resources